If you have been subjected to abuse by a police officer or other government agent, it may constitute a violation of your civil rights, and you have the right to sue for damages. It order to make a claim against any government body, however, you must file a tort claim notice within 90 days of the incident.

Actions against police for civil rights violations are called 1983 claims, and if the case does not settle, it often ends up in Federal Court.

A lawyer will make sure that the Police and District Attorney have followed the strict rules, laws, and regulations that apply, and make sure the government pays when they break the law. Being subjected to unlawful assault, battery, excessive force, and false imprisonment at the hands of police is inexcusable. Fight back by exercising your legal rights and civil liberties. Please call Aaron J. Boland for a free consultation.